Monday, April 2, 2012

A Lion in a Shoebox.

(Dearest Awesome People,
I want to thank you all for the kind and encouraging words I received from you after my last post. I was sooo touched! I'm sorry it took me so long to post again, but I've had a super busy week or so!)


Have you ever tried to cram a lion into a shoebox?
Yeah, neither have I. I mean, can you imagine? "here kitty, kitty.... get in... come on now, just get in the box..." *meow* *scratch* *bite* *death*
It would be quite a stupid thing to attempt. In fact, I don't care if you have a lion AND a shoebox on hand, I beg of you, DON'T TRY IT!!!
Because it's completely useless.
The lion is too big, too vicious, too strong, and I'll bet you my guitar that a lion doesn't wake up in the morning planning on climbing into a shoebox, therefore it will put up a fight to anyone who tries to get it in one.

So, why have I been trying to put God's power in a box?

He created the lion.

This week I realized that I've been trying to put a lion in a shoebox for quite a while now.
I mean sure, I can say "Oh yeah, God can do it, He's God" but are my heart and brain and mouth all saying the same thing, there?
It's like trying to play three notes that don't form a chord. They just make an empty, wretched sounding noise.
You have to have all your notes aligned and in tune with each other to make the sound you're going for.
So if my mouth is saying something, but my heart and brain aren't in on it, too, all I'm going to get is an empty, wretched sounding noise.

Have I been thinking and saying about what God can do in my life without fully believing it in my heart?
Have I not been really acknowledging his true power?

I was thinking about this, and I got to thinking about how I want to serve God how he wants me to serve Him. And it's not that I don't know that he's got the power to use me in huge ways.. it's just that I doubt that I have the ability to serve Him the ways He wants me to.
There is a part of a song by Anberlin, where the lyrics are "We're not questioning God, just those who he chose to carry out His cause" And no, I don't think they're saying what it sounds like they are saying, there. I think they are saying the obvious: to doubt who God has chosen to use, is basically doubting God. Because the power isn't in the people, it's in Him. So what right have we we doubt any of it?

God's in control and His power doesn't fit in a shoebox.

Chels

(By the way.. if you think of it, I could use some prayer this week. I have a huge week at work, and I'm heading into it pretty wiped out already. Thanks!)

4 comments:

  1. This is so huge in all our lives, isn't it? Praying for you as you work this week....

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! :) That's definitely something I struggle with a lot, too. I guess I'm a little late to pray for your week last week, but I'm praying for this one! :) Bye!
    ~Julianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm reading this late..

    You are so right, and almost everything you write about fits right in with what God has been showing me. Thank you, my dear, for creating this blog...and for sharing what God is teaching you :)

    ReplyDelete