Saturday, June 23, 2012

What is this.. "joy"?

At church, we youngin's like to have a Bible study together as often as we can. Typically we start off by looking at the definition of whatever it is that we're studying. Take last week, for example. We studied God's Sovereignty, so we started off by comparing some different definitions of the word "Sovereignty" that we'd found over the week in our pre-study "homework" :)
So today I'm thinking about joy.
What is it?
What's it made of?

 What's your definition of joy?
When I think about joy, I don't get a definition given in any old dictionary.  I get images, really pretty mental images. And I'm sure that's the case for many, many, people.
And I believe this is the case because I firmly believe that joy is something so remarkable, so amazing, that it cannot be explained any more than it can be contained.

I see the eyes of an adopted child light up as their new parents wrap their arms around them for the very first time. Feeling the pure love all around them.

I see a beautiful sunrise over the ocean, the crisp air of a new day blowing away the previous one.

I see a group of friends gathered together around a bonfire, laughing together and enjoying life as it is in that very moment. Not thinking of what "could be" or "should be" or of what their future will hold. Just simply loving the moment.

That's my definition of joy.

I am a child adopted by a king, who's pure love for me rocks my world all the time.
I would try to explain, but I can't even begin to grasp the concept of His pure love for me. I just know that it will never fade.

I am a morning person. You know why? "His mercies are new every morning" 
How incredibly uplifting is that? Every single morning, He starts fresh. When I feel a fresh morning breeze, I can't help but let out a little squeal, or long sigh, of utter joy.
It reminds me that I am more than choices that I've made, I am more than the sum of my past mistakes, I am more than the problems I create (thanks Tenth Avenue North, for the good lyrics in "You Are More"),
His mercies/forgiveness are new every morning.

Every now and then I have "a moment". A moment in which I feel so at peace, so in love with life, so overcome with the joy of that moment.
Content and not concerned for what could be, should be, or will be.
Just in awe of how I am so blessed... eep! Gives me chills.

Here's what I would recommend. Keep an eye and heart out for those "moments", they are cadence in a most precious form. The more you recognize the joy you feel, the more you appreciate it. The more you appreciate it, the more you live for it, the more you live for it, the more you strive for a life lived in tune and well played.

God loves it when we have joy in the work of His hands in our lives.
It's good stuff.

Find some.

"Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth, burst into jubilant song with music;" ;) Psalm 98:4

  Chelsea


 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement. I do try to find joy every day. There is so much sadness and sorrow all around us that when we feel such joy we should pray for those who are suffering and can't find joy. Love you girlie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, Chelsea! Sometimes it's hard to stay joyful... but I remember that Jesus gives it, and that is my strength! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I was just going to say "I love it, Chelsea" but then I realized Julianne had said exactly the same thing :) I second her thought!

    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy is my favorite word, did you know that? It's tattooed on the inside of my wrist in my mothers handwriting

    ReplyDelete