Thursday, February 2, 2012

What I mean by Cadence.

The definition of the word "cadence" is this:

a. A rythmic sequence or flow of sounds in language

b. The beat, time, or measure of rhythmical motion or activity

c. a concluding and usually falling strain; specifically : a musical chord sequence moving to a harmonic close or point of rest and giving the sense of harmonic completion.

d. the modulated and rhythmic recurrence of a sound especially in nature

That's not particularly the cadence I'm reffering to.
Allow me to explain.
You'll notice that almost all of the definitions for the word speak of rythm, or beat, if you will.
Here's how I have come to interpret "Cadence" (which by the way, is my favorite word.)
Life. That's right, I said life. Our lives tend to resemble cadence in the sense that it becomes rythmic, we go along with the beat.
We live day by day in our routines, sailing through life in the sweet comfort of the melody that we have come to know ao well.
Some of us have a quiet, pleasant rythm. Some of us have the bass and drums turned up really loud.

It's how we live out our lives.
If my life was a song, I wouldn't want it to be "bum. bum. bum. bum." forever and ever, amen.
I'd want some stuff in there, to make it sound better, to make it more interesting, and to make it more appealing in general.
Nobody likes songs that are too repetitive.. especially if it's repeating a particularly obnoxious sound over and over again. That's just, well, obnoxious.

You following me, here?
What I'm saying is, we choose how we live our lives, and we can easily choose for it to be an on-going beat of boring nothingness. OR! We could choose for it to be an exciting mix of all sorts of things, things that we may not be comfortable with at first. Things that might require us to think outside the box, and take a risk for.
Things that make people think about their own lives.
Things that make an impact on the world.

I once wondered if everyone would have a fabulous voice in Heaven. So that when we all sang together there wouldn't be that person who's always throwing everyone off key. But God made that person exactly how He wanted them to be, off-key and all. And I wondered if everyones voices would be changed into perfection in Heaven, or if He has a whole off-key section up there, that ultimately adds the most beautiful harmony ever. One that no human composer could ever compose. No matter how talented.

Because if you believe that God has a plan, than you believe that even the bad things that happen in the world have purpose for ultimately, His purposes, and His glory. Because He's a really good composer. He's the best.

So what about the ending of the ending of the song?
b. a concluding and usually falling strain; specifically : a musical chord sequence moving to a harmonic close or point of rest and giving the sense of harmonic completion.
Cadence does not only consist of an on-going rythm, part of cadence is the ending. It's like the climax of a movie, only at the very end. It's when all the important stuff happens.
It's when you are out of time, and you look back on the song you've composed. Is it one that you're proud of? One that you've worked long and hard on? One that gives a sense of "harmonic completion" Or is it one that never really got paid close attention to, and drones on with a repetitive and somewhat meaningless and unmoving beat? Or even a giant catastrophe of a crashing sound right in the middle? Maybe a "falling strain"
Our lives are all like the latter of the examples. (Crashing sounds, and whatnot) because we all screw up.
But if we hand it over to a different composer, one who knows what He's doing, it already starts sounding better. Then, if we work hard to break out of the boring beat, and do things that our composer/songwriter thinks will fit in the song well, it'll keep getting better.
Better and better the more good things that you add to the song, until finally,
when you come to that moment in the end of your Cadence, you and your composer will both be proud of what your song sounds like.

That's the Cadence I'm reffering to. And chasing.

Chels

4 comments:

  1. Chelsea,

    What an amazing post! ...and blog. I read every post so far, and your writing takes me right inside your heart. This time of your life is so fun and promising! I think I might have to add WRITER to the list along with musician and chef...thanks for sharing your story.

    Hugs from Missouri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lord used your words to speak to me today. Thanks so much! You see, a year ago the program I had established and headed at my teaching job of 22 years was discontinued. I felt all of the usual emotions...rejected, undervalued...devastated...grief-stricken. But now my cadence has changed from the rhythm of the treadmill I was on, and I am recognizing a beautiful new song has begun. Who would have expected this at age 58! God bless you Chelsea, (as I can see He already has).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea, awesome post! I love your point about God stretching us in order to make our song better. That's definitely something I need to embrace more.

    Oh, and did I mention that I feel really blessed to have a spiritually mature friend like you? :) God bless you, mon amie!


    Love,
    Julianne

    ReplyDelete